Misanthropster: An Army of One

Those I revile today are...

01 December, 2006

people who feel the need to state how much they spend

So these two kids, maybe 9-years-old, were running around the store this evening completely unaccompanied/unattended. It was after 9 pm.

I called the store manager, because the kids were starting to vandalize the men's fragrance section, and he corralled them and sat them down at a cosmetics counter with a very grandmotherly type looking after them.

Their mother showed up, and when the grandmotherly employee gently chastised her for leaving her kids unattended in the store, the woman replied "Well, I spend a lot of money in this store, and I can't understand why you all can't watch my kids."

Yeah.

And I heard that a bunch of times today.

Customers wanting free gift wrap. We tell them that it'll be $5.00 per item to wrap. They reply "Well, I spend a lot of money in this store, and I'll take my business elsewhere if I can't get free gift wrap."

You go right ahead and do that, ma'am. You try to find any store that has free gift wrap in this area.

Or my personal favorite:

"What samples you got?"

Well, none.

"Well, I spend a lot of money in this store, and I think I should get free samples."

1. I don't have any free samples. 2. Free samples are for paying customers. I don't see any purchases in your hands, nor are you planning to buy something from this counter.

Oy.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let’s look on the bright side: at least they didn’t ask if you had any free samples in “the back.” Oh, how I wish I could release customers into my vision of “the back.” It features a Lovecraftian tentacle monster and one Clay Aiken.

2:29 PM  
Blogger mist1 said...

I love free samples. I will say anything for them.

9:06 PM  
Blogger The CEO said...

To the woman looking for her children that the store was babysitting. "Your husband stopped by and picked them up since you were too busy to watch them"

I went to McDonald's tonight, and they gave me an extra 15% off for just asking. They threw in a free milkshake and a counter girl when I added a Big Mac and a Super sized fries.

Please don't make me go on while I have a loaded weapon in my hands. Repeat after me, "I will never work retail again"

3:12 AM  
Blogger Gonçalo Veiga said...

Haha! When I used to work at a bookshop, some costumers would be irated because we only had a kind a gift paper!

"WHAT?! then everybody will know this is a book!"

Right....

12:31 PM  
Blogger M@ said...

I have misled my hairdresser (he doesn't know i"m heterosexual).... I get lots of free samples. Hell no, i don't feel bad.

6:58 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I took a vow never to work in retail again. That was after the vow I made not to work in food service ever again.

I got tired of being a sitting duck for customers who wanted to push someone around who had to take it or be fired.

Firing myself from these occupations was the most life-affirming act I ever committed.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Pickled Olives said...

I am seriously shocked at the number of moms willing to let strangers watch their kids, in malls, super stores etc... These ladies are looking at endingup on the news - in a bad way.

11:16 PM  
Blogger misanthropster said...

yeah, hearts, I hear ya. Food service was my first vow... I think I've recently (after experiencing full burnout on the job this past week) made the vow never to work retail again.

Like, if I do it again, God will sentence me to an eternity working in retail in hell.

Oh wait, I'm already there... GRR

9:58 PM  
Blogger misanthropster said...

Fred,

That is a very scary "the back" I like it.

Mist,

All you have to do is ask nicely. :)

Ceo

I will never work retail again. I will never work retail again, I will never work retail again...

goncalo...

yup. That's my daily existence.

Matt,
All's fair for free samples. Especially if you're polite.

Pickled,
You'd be surprised at how many other behaviors end the ladies in this area up on the local news... heh.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home