Misanthropster: An Army of One

Those I revile today are...

05 November, 2006

people who make slutterwear for pre-schoolers

I didn't think I'd have this problem until my daughter was in the first grade, at least.

But geeze, have you seen the clothes that some of these companies are putting out for little girls? Christ, we are turning into a nation of pedophiles?

I've had to somehow resist buying off the shoulder tops for my one year old. Like she needs to pull off the whole flashdance look.

And the midriff bearing spangly shit that's out there at the moment? For winter?

Oy. I'm sure that if I were my husband I'd illustrate this post with lots of pictures of particularly horrendous clothing for kids, but I'm lazy, so that's not going to happen.

I'll just leave you with the thought that Abercrombie & Fitch has been selling thongs for 9-12 year old girls.

Because god knows, when creepy old guys are staring at their asses, they don't want to see tacky panty lines.

no, I'm not leaving y'all yet. I still have ranting to do.

My friend Clover (see blog link at left) was writing about exceedingly scantily clad teenagers on Halloween night. Which, honestly, I never saw when I was in high school. I think all of our parents would have seriously strangled us if we walked out looking like hookers. And I'm SURE that somebody would have called our parents if we were trying to sneak that shit. And we would have been grounded. Or at worst, sent to the Catholic school that my husband went to. (That's another post. He's snobby about his school being better than the public school system that I went to. I'm snobby about his school because that's where all the kids who were expelled from my school got sent. Heh)

But now, apparently, we're encouraging girls to dress like this? At exceedingly young ages? And people still act shocked at the amount of makeup that Jon-Benet Ramsey was wearing. Come ON. Let's not sexualize our little girls. Or boys for that matter. Ugh.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are only so many ways to say that you're right. Like, give 'em a chance to be kids first. Go get 'em!

12:47 AM  
Blogger mist1 said...

I remember my dad passing out upon seeing both my new bikini and the pricetag on it. Before he collapsed he said something about dental floss.

Whore it up girls. While you're still young.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Crankster said...

Mist-
I'm all for letting girls be girls, but I'd rather my daughter learned what to do in the front seat of a car before she started using the backseat.

If you know what I mean.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Clover said...

I have to admit that some of the clothes out there that make kids look like little adults cracks me up. Like tiny v-necked sweaters and mini crocs. But yeah, the amount of trashywear for toddlers is frightening. And my poor SIL has had to ban anything that shows belly skin for my kindergarten aged niece. It's kinda sad. For a million reasons. Not the least of which being that those clothes are all made for tiny barbie shaped girls. So, lets teach the thin ones how to look like hookers, and make the more solidly constructed young ladies feel crappy about themselves because they WISH to look like hookers.

And then lets give them purity rings and tell them about the sanctity of marriage.

6:45 PM  
Blogger misanthropster said...

clover,
There is a distinct difference between clothing that makes kids look like adults and clothing that makes kids look like adult hookers. :)

One is cute. The other is not.

Mist,
I'm holding out for thong diapers.

-v

9:40 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

My niece had a baby a year ago, so I now browse in baby stores. Recently I have seen tiny onesies with slogans like "You are not the boss of me," rompers with Che Guevara's picture on the bib, sequined bare midriff tops for 2 year olds that proclaim "I'm sexy," (I saw something amazingly similar in a Yorkie and Poodle tog store, and an all-black number reminiscent of Cher at her Gothiest. Size 9 months.

Are they serious? Yes, of course they are. When children become accessories for their parent's amusement, we've gone way past cute. Do not collect $25. Go straight to Jailbait.

People, wake up! We need to protect children, not stroke our own sexual fantasies by feeding them into the jaws of drooling pedophiles.

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home